Saturday, October 22, 2011

Day 3 ~ Engine Stand

Well, I decided to actually sleep Friday night instead of moonlighting on the rebuild. Sue me = )

I got a new helper today! My 2nd grader daughter decided she wanted to hang out with me and play something. Awesome! My wife grimaced at me when I told my girl to get some grubby clothes on. Sorry, I wasn't in the mood for a game of Pretty Pretty Princess today, and she's content to just be with me and doing something. So what better than to do something that interests us both, and I get to teach her! Cool.
  So anyway, we headed out to play a game of "I Spy" and in this case "...in my mind's eye something green." She guessed for a while then finally with a clue she looked down inside the lower intake plenum to the intake valve on cylinder #3 to point out the big puddle of antifreeze.
Notice the pieces of gasket blown into the
 intake channel above the coolant puddle.
  I had seen this when I took the engine out the other night/morning, but didn't have the energy or stupidity to keep working on it. Actually as I continued to peruse the engine with her out in the sunny driveway, we noticed that #1 and #6 were "underwater" as well. I guess now we know why the engine wouldn't keep turning over. To catch up on basic engine physics, the engine sucks in air and gas from the intake area down past the intake valve and into the cylinder. The valve then closes and the piston moves up and squeezes the air in tight compression. The spark plug ignites the fuel/air mix and pushes the piston back down with tremendous force which powers the momentum that (powers the car and) carries the piston back up to push out the exhaust air through the now-open exhaust valve. And then the cycle starts all over again. NOTE: Air IS compressible. Liquid, more specifically oil and antifreeze, is NOT compressible.
  So the last time I drove the Firebird I quickly shut it off when I noticed the plume of white smoke filling my mirrored view. Mind the engine was still running. However, later when I tried to start it briefly to listen for problem indicators, it only turned maybe 1 revolution before halting. That stop was caused because in letting it sit for a few minutes was all the time it needed to puddle up enough antifreeze and oil (from the blown lower intake plenum seal) to hydraulically lock the cylinder on the compression stroke.
  Thank God it happened at the low RPM of the starter. A hydraulic lock at running speeds can severely damage the pistons, connecting rods, and crankshaft to name a few. As it is, I don't expect any bending of parts. I'm hoping for a good cleaning, replacing gaskets and seals, and reassemble without too much ado.
  Ok rabbit trail done now. My baby girl helped me crank on the engine hoist all the way up to the stand. We took apart the clutch housing and removed the flywheel/driveplate. I got to teach her how they work, and she helped me inspect the wear. It's simply amazing how much these little ones can just absorb if you give them the opportunity. I'm just gonna say it. My kid is gettin' pretty darn smart. I pray she does something fantastic with all that brain power.
  A quick trip to the hardware store for some longer mounting bolts, and presto! Engine docking complete.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that the mini-assistant got to have fun and learn some new things from her super-smart Dad. Yay for a day of family time and progress.

    ReplyDelete