Monday, October 24, 2011

Day 5 ~ Just get a little done

  I've been reading up on another person's kit car build blog. He stated early on that if you make it a point to go out and at least do something that soon enough, you'd be done. Well I'm so exhausted today from a hard day's work and too many late nights, that I really just want to go to bed. Nah. I headed down to the local O'Reilly Auto Parts store to "borrow" some tools. Tool rental is so handy. I don't know what I'd do without it...probably be broke buying all kinds of special-app tools.
  Anyway, so I grabbed the harmonic balancer puller, valve spring compressor, and decided to get a timing gear puller just in case it was needed. I went back to the house and grabbed a couple wrenches. Of course, just for the heck of it I lined up on cylinder #1 TDC, not that it was needed at that point, but it's always better to be there and not need to be, than forget and be in trouble.
  Wow that puller was great! I had the thing off in a jiffy, then took a few minutes to observe, take pics, and line up all the timing marks before removing the chain and sprockets. I wasn't out of adjustment on the tensioner, but close. Good thing I ordered the new set today with all the gaskets, freeze plugs, and head bolts. After removing the upper timing gear bolt, everything slid off pretty easily...no puller needed.
  A little cleanup and DONE, just in time to go return my tool rentals too before the store closes. Well off to go fall asleep to a movie with the wifey. = )

1 comment:

  1. Nice that something was quick and easy. Now if only the reassembling could be as easy...

    ReplyDelete