Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Day 6 ~ Prep for the big cleaning project

Well, I had help today to reorganize a bit so I can get to my archived parts washer. I feel much better now. Actually today's post-work-work began with an oil change on the Fusion. Wouldn't you know I forgot to double check the weights when the cashier was nice enough to go grab the quarts for me. Oops, another trip back to the store. Four 5W-20's and two 5W-30's are not what I was hoping for. That was a month or two ago when I pre-bought on a good Castrol Edge/K&N oil change special. Today holds another surprise for me. The other two bottles I replaced are both 5W-20 now...I triple checked. However, I failed to notice someone had pulled a fast one on the store & returned their oil purchase with used oil. Ok that's it. Now I have to check the type of oil and the tamper seal on every bottle. No big deal, just got me. The store was kind enough not to make an issue of it and promptly swapped me for a new bottle. Mmmm fresh oil...my baby likes!
  Ok so lots done so far, but nothing on the Firebird. I only have valves and oil pan left for the easy ones. I haven't decided whether I'm going to try removing cams or crank...probably not as long as I can adequately inspect them for wear or damage. I left the oil pan for another day and tackled the valves. They're pretty easy with the right tool. Also it's very handy to have a 20-egg carton around. I found a box [EDIT...to say rather, my  lovely assistant a.k.a. wife found the box - nailed when she read this...oops) to fit it perfectly, placed the carton on top of the open box, and punched holes in the 12 egg slots matching the valve placement on the engine. I labelled front, back, left, right, as well as cylinder # and Intake or Exhaust, so there's almost no way to get them mixed up. I'm feeling good about this project having labelled the snot out of everything. My memory is not doing so well these days as I've come to notice. Best not to take anything for granted anymore.
  Ok blogs, email, facebook, etc. all caught up. Time for sleepage.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you're doing great. Just like our families, cars require gentleness and patience.

    ReplyDelete